Creamy Mac & Cheese
I cannot begin to tell you how many times I have asked the kids what they want for dinner and they respond with “Kraft Dinner”. I get it, there is something good about it, I used to eat it out of the pot in university but you have to draw the line somewhere…
I have a delicious non-traditional Mac & Cheese recipe that I will share another day but for now I am going to share this traditional recipe.
If you’re looking for comfort food, this dish is for you!
Boil elbow noodles and while they are boiling you will prepare the cheese sauce. If you decide to use cream, you won’t have to cook the butter, flour and cream for very long. If you choose to use milk, it will take closer to 10 min for the base to thicken.
The types of cheese you use is up to you but I used an old white cheddar and a sharp orange cheddar. I also decided to add some breadcrumbs on top before tossing it in the oven.
Full recipe below!
Creamy Mac & Cheese
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 25 min
Total Time: 35 min
8 oz elbow noodles
1/4 cup butter
1/3 cup all-uprose flour
1 cup 2% milk (use 2 ½ cups if not using cream)
1 cup heavy cream (35%)
3/4 cup old shredded old white cheddar cheese
3/4 cup shredded sharp orange cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp himalayan salt
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/8 cup bread crumbs
- Boil salted water for the elbow noodles. While the water is heating, prepare the cheese sauce
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and continue whisking for 1-2 min or until combined and smooth
- Slowly add the cream, whisking the entire time. Slowly add the milk, and continue whisking. Continue cooking and whisking until mixture thickens. (It will take longer to thicken if you chose to use milk and not cream.)
- Remove from heat and stir in the salt, chili powder, garlic powder and both cheeses until the cheese has melted. Place the saucepan back on low heat if the cheese hasn’t melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Place elbow noodles in boiling water for a few minutes. Do not fully cook noodles as they will continue to cook while baking in the oven
- Add the cooked pasta to the cheese sauce and stir until well combined
- Spoon the mixture into a 9x13 baking dish (the dish I used was a ceramic dish) Sprinkle with the breadcrumbs if desired. Bake on the middle oven rack for 25 min
(Feel free to substitute the old white cheddar with something else if you don’t like strong cheeses.)
This recipe is quick and easy, even on a weeknight!