One of my favourite desserts to make in the Fall is apple crisp. I take the kids apple picking every year and apple crisp is always a staple in our home from Thanksgiving until Christmas baking starts (Thanksgiving is the beginning of October, here in Canada).
This recipe is definitely one you will want to add to your Favourites! The juicy sweet filling and crisp oat topping will have you going back for seconds! Don’t forget to add a dollop of your favourite vanilla ice cream.
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup quick oats
1/2 cup packed brown sugar (light or dark)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup unsalted butter , diced into cubes
1.5 lbs sliced cortland apples
3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
2 Tbsp flour
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375ºF and lightly grease an 8×8 baking dish or deep dish pie plate.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together all dry topping ingredients.
- Add the diced butter and mix together with your fingertips. Place in the fridge until needed.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together melted butter and flour until well combined. Add in lemon juice and vanilla extract. Whisk in brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Mix until well combined.
- Pour mixture over sliced apples and toss lightly. Place apples into the baking dish.
- Removing topping mixture from the fridge and sprinkle crumble evenly over apple mixture.
- Place into oven and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow 5 minutes to cool. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.