Bench ReDo

Tell me I’m not the only one that has multiple projects on the go that are only half-completed…I finally tackled a project that I have been meaning to do for months but just hadn’t found the time for.

I recently compiled a list of “projects” that I would like to start/finish before the end of the year. It’s not a “to-do” list (if you missed my post on why I don’t make “to-do” lists you can read it here) but rather something to look at on a day where I have some extra time (wait, do those exist?) to tackle a fun project.

I have had a bench sitting in my front foyer for months that I have been wanting to redo.

IMG_8843.JPG

IMG_8840

There is a lot sentiment behind this piece which I will share more about in another post, but I had to be careful with how I tackled this project. The entire top portion of the bench is made out of burned matchsticks. It’s quite amazing actually.

06577C59-1313-433D-9580-82ECE2337BBAIMG_8867

Thousands and thousands of burned matchsticks, glued together to make a beautiful piece of furniture. For this reason, I had to be so careful with how I sanded the top of the bench. I only wanted to strip a thin layer of the Varathane off, without damaging the matches. I sanded the legs (a little more abrasively), followed by the top and sides.

9151D600-265F-47AD-8619-99B55976A030ECBBC7E2-3871-426E-9FCC-D174CAF65F31B854C6C6-898B-4739-A55E-6730BB229720

As you can see, I had some extra little hands help me with the sanding.

For the legs, I used Rust-Oleum Chalked Ulta Matte Paint in the shade Country Grey. I love how this paint goes on and how quickly it dries. I have shared it before on my Instagram Stories, and all the different colour options.

IMG_8866IMG_8869

I used two coats on the legs, and allowed 30 minutes of drying time between coats.

09819E24-AA00-47B4-B067-E6880D1CF5CF

Then I flipped the table over so I could stain the top.

I chose a grey Varathane Wood Stain for the top. I couldn’t use the chalk paint on the seat because it would have covered/filled all of the details of the matches, so I chose a wood stain.

IMG_8870.JPG

A little goes a long way, so I applied a thin layer across the bench – using long even strokes with the paint brush.

E05A03A3-A45C-47E6-82C4-42597BA3065B7E363F4F-FB39-4875-A982-B5012897C5B0

Then, I took a rag and wiped off any excess stain, which also helps it seep into all of the grooves in the wood.

16112CB4-0F6D-4DE5-A4C1-F0D0E2D67218C04D4913-38F1-443B-9DF7-342EED44C4C55B6E1EA8-BDF7-48A1-BA8E-4B7F12DE56A3

If you choose to not wipe off the excess stain, you may find it will remain sticky for a long period of time and it won’t have a smooth finish (speaking from past experience).

I decided I wanted to distress the legs of the bench to pull out some of the original wood. I think it really tied the whole piece together.

IMG_20621E224270-EB63-48C8-BE1A-484F54C579DA

This is what I ended up with!

IMG_8840IMG_8835

You can see the stain on the top is a very subtle hue of grey but it made such a difference in the overall look.

IMG_8868BA43E0A7-B963-4E1D-B932-2C9C356FDFBD

I am so pleased with how it turned out and I love this piece even more now!

Screen Shot 2018-01-28 at 6.04.39 PM

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Bench ReDo

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s