I am a huge fan of trying out new salads, especially in the summer. I have a few favourites and “go-to’s”, and this one is definitely in the top three. It’s quick, easy, healthy and tastes even better the next day. It’s anything but a boring salad and your guests will be lined up for seconds.
This recipe is perfect for a picnic, potluck or backyard BBQ.
The recipe yields approximately 8 side salads.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
1 cup uncooked quinoa
2 cups water
1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
1 medium cucumber cut in small pieces
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 orange or yellow bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped parsley (and a few extra sprigs for garnish)
3/4 cup red onion, chopped
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1/2 tsp sea salt
- Bring water and quinoa to a boil. Cover and let simmer for 15 minutes; remove lid and fluff with a fork, then set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl combine the black beans, cucumber, bell peppers, onion and parsley. Set aside.
- In a small bowl add olive oil, red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, garlic and salt. Whisk until combined. (You will need to whisk it again before pouring it into the salad.)
- Add the quinoa to the other ingredients. Pour dressing into the salad and toss the salad until well combined. Place in the refrigerator and allow 15-20 minutes for the flavours to come together. Garnish with parsley.
- This salad will keep in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
How delicious does this look? Mmmmmm.
Follow me on Instagram @pinkandblueblog